The day has finally arrived for my new third floor window to be installed! It is a custom order Jeld-Wen window with custom size and patterned mullions (which took 6 weeks to arrive after I signed off on the drawings). We also went with an aluminum clad exterior in a color in light green to match one of the accent colors on the house. I’m pretty excited! My contractor is working on the final trim and fitout right now. I know that a lot of the old home enthusists are shaking their heads, but I have plenty of windows that will be restored/rebuilt (i.e. the rest of the third floor) with new interior storms but this one, which is pretty much the only one we will be opening on a regular basis, I decided to go with functionality (and energy efficiency). Speaking of which, does anyone have an interior storm manufacturer that they recommend? I’ve been looking around, but haven’t come to a consensus. I need to have these in place before I can have the rest of the third floor windows removed to have them rebuilt.
This is where we started with a leaky set of window that needed to have its sill completely replaced (along with the original 1888 cedar shingles). This involved disassembling the entire area including the structure in between the 3 windows. We were left with a hard decision to replace or rebuild. In the end we decided that if we were going to spend money at this location, we really wanted some function. The window is at the top of the third floor stairs and is great at exhausting out hot air on a warm day. I spent a lot of time deciding on the configuration of the mullions. Here is my rendering:
And here is how it has been sitting for the last couple of months:
I still need to paint the new aluminum sill to match the dark green trim, but I am pretty excited. I will be back with some interior shots tomorrow. I hope everyone is having a good week!